Healthy eating tips
Foods to eat plenty of:
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit – include two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables each day to obtain fibre, vitamins, minerals and important antioxidants.
- Drink plenty of water - six to eight glasses per day for most people.
- Eat plenty of fish - one to three serves per week to obtain important omega-3 fatty acids, which are powerful protectors of the heart and blood vessels. Seek your health practitioner’s advice regarding fish if you are pregnant.
- Include high calcium food daily - three serves of low-fat dairy foods or substitutes (e.g. calcium fortified soy milks, or if you are unable to consume these products talk to your doctor about bone strength).
- Include wholegrain foods daily such as wholemeal breads, oats, wheat or rice grains and cereals.